John M. Farrell
John M. Farrell is a board-certified Labor & Employment attorney focused on assisting clients with navigating matters of all size and complexity both in the employment and traditional labor areas. He has extensive experience litigating matters in federal and state courts, defending clients in front of federal and state agencies (EEOC, DOL, NLRB, FINRA, TWC), and conducting private arbitrations. In addition, he regularly conducts internal investigations, offers HR training, and provides counseling regarding day-to-day issues such as employee discipline and termination, pay structures, contract drafting and negotiation, and compliance with labor and employment laws.
John has defended and advised clients in matters involving Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, Section 1981, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, and the National Labor Relations Act. John also handles matters regarding theft of trade secrets and violations of post-employment covenants.
John has developed a specialty advising clients regarding executing effective reductions-in-force, minimizing litigation risks inherent in reductions-in-force, drafting enforceable release agreements, and complying with the WARN Act. John also has extensive experience advising employers regarding FLSA compliance, including minimum wage and overtime obligations, determining hours worked, available exemptions, and obligations under various compensation structures.
Over the course of his career, John has represented clients in a variety of business sectors including oil and gas, manufacturing, construction, mining, shipping and transportation, banking and financial services, healthcare, telecommunications, retail, education, performing arts, and restaurant/hospitality.
John is certified as a Labor and Employment expert by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and, prior to joining Arcadi Jackson, worked for two large global law firms in their labor and employment sections.
- J.D., University of Texas School of Law, 2007 (with honors)
- B.A., Economics and Government, University of Texas at Austin, 2002 (with honors)
- Bar of Texas
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Recognized, “Best Lawyers in Dallas,” D Magazine (2017, 2021-2023)
- Recognized, “Texas Rising Star” (2011-12, 2017-19)